Monday, February 27, 2012

20 Questions for AD&D in Vermistadt

I thought I’d take the opportunity to join in the fun, so here’s my answers to 20 Questions regarding my Vermistadt setting for 1E AD&D

Ability scores generation method?
Method 4 produces the sorts of dudes I’m interested in. For those who can’t recall, it’s 12 different sets 3d6 stats in order. This gives you a very workable PC while maintaining the feeling that Rangers, Paladins and others are a premium class and very rare. This is a gritty campaign so the 4 basic character classes will be the norm.

How are death and dying handled?
By the RAW, at 0 you go unconscious and start to bleed out, expiring at -10.

What about raising the dead?
Sure, if you’ve got the funds and there is someone in the neighborhood willing to do so. Expect to pay a premium and probably “owesky” someone or some institution a major favor.

How are replacement PCs handled?
You come in at the average experience level of the party.

Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
By the RAW of AD&D so, group initiative and all the merry segmented madness that IS AD&D initiative. If you haven’t read the ADDICT document over on Dragonsfoot, you can if you wish. Otherwise, I’ll walk you through it as we go.

Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
Yeah, I think so. We’ll use the Pathfinder cards and just wing it. I like random stuff and since it’s been a while since we played full on Crit/Fumble, what they Hell.

Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
You betcha, I’ll be using the LL rule otherwise which would mean your naked skull is AC 10 adjusted by magic and DEX and intelligent foes will be swinging at it.

Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
Yeap, so says the RAW.

Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
This is AD&D so yes, evading is part of the game.

Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
Yes. They add a tremendous amount of tension to the game.

Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
Yes, again, this is AD&D.

How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
Reasonably so; I think resource management is one of the features of the game.

What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically?
You may only level up when returning to the City and training expenses, taxes, living expenses, etc. will be assessed at that time. This will require some 250 gp per the new level you are attaining. Spells generally must be found, however, you do have a mentor in the campaign who will give you a random, yet suitable spell at each level until such time as you reach 5th level. You’re on your own at that point.
Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
Experience is awarded at the end of a session and if you’re in the City, well, certainly you can level up.

What do I get experience for?
Killing dudes/things and taking their stuff. Also, acquiring/using magic items and the much beloved Carousing rolls that may take place from time to time.

How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
Check by description, then the DM secretly rolls dice for you.

Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
To some extent yes and morale works exactly as per the RAW which is best interpreted via OSRIC imo.

How do I identify magic items?
With the spell Identify and its resultant cost. Bards might also be available and friendly wizard types.

Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
Generally no, though you may occasionally trade for them. Potions are available from an Alchemist, though these are primarily curatives.

Can I create magic items? When and how?
Sure, but we can worry about that once you hit Name Level.

What about splitting the party?
This happens from time-to-time and isn’t usually all that big of a deal.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh- I forgot that you get EEPs for magic items in AD&D! Sweeet...

    I think that's one of the things they added when they realized that in B/X anyway, leveling up at upper levels takes forever if you go by the RAW (you have to get boatloads of loot or kill 80 gazillion monsters to level up... LOL)

    ReplyDelete